Auto recycling has been on the rise with increased number of cars that are being disposed.
Vehicle recycling is the process through which old and used cars are dismantled to obtain spare parts. Vehicle recycling is done after the end of a vehicle’s useful life and this has led to a booming dismantling industry where many vehicle owners are able to obtain spare parts for their vehicles. Benefits that are accrued from the vehicle dismantling industry include making access to spare parts of old car models possible, promoting environmental conservation through eco-friendly disposal of old vehicles and creating more employment opportunities.
What you should know about General Motors?
General Motors Company abbreviated as GM is an American Multinational Corporation that has its headquarters in Detroit, Michigan. The company was started in September 16, 1908 by William C. Durant, Charles Stewart Mott and Fredric L. Smith. The company engages in the design, manufacturing, marketing and distribution of vehicles and other vehicle parts. The company also offers sells of financial services.
What is the idea behind autonomous cars?
The pursuit for driverless cars dates back to the years before the invention of the vehicles when Leonardo De Vinci who sketched a plan of a self-propelled cart. Presently, many car manufacturers such as General Motors, FORD, Tesla and Mercedes have been leading the way in the pursuit for autonomous cars.
Today’s cars have incorporated driving assist technologies to make car driving less demanding and avoid any potential crushes increase the driver is less careful. Car manufacturers have been pushing their limits in the pursuit of driverless cars that do not need a human driver for them to function well.
General Motors and the pursuit for autonomous cars
General Motors has announced through its recently acquired startup Kyle Vogt that it plans to start mass production of autonomous cars. The Kyle Vogt CEO revealed that they had everything in place to start production once their software and regulatory environment has been put in place.
What are the advantages of autonomous cars?
• Car manufacturers’ belief is that autonomous cars shall reduce road accidents. Most of the accidents that occur on the highways are due to the human errors that could have been avoided. Autonomous car are not under the control of human beings and this will reduce the number of road carnage and save lives that might have been lost in the process.
• Autonomous cars will reduce the need for road signage. Costs of installing and renovating road signs can be very high especially in areas where vandalism is high but with autonomous cars, road signage could be not necessary. Autonomous cars have the ability to receive navigation information electronically without having to rely on physical road signs.
• It ensures everyone has access to a car. In the United States, children considered minors are prohibited from using cars and autonomous cars would change this narrative. Children, the elderly, those who are sick, those who are drunk will have access to their cars without causing any potential risks to other road users and themselves.
• Maximum utilization of parking slots. Autonomous cars would easily drop passengers at their destination, go park far away and come back to pick them with an alert from the passenger.
What are the disadvantages of autonomous cars?
• Potential to cause job loss. Many people are employed across the globe and in the United States as chauffeurs and if autonomous cars would be implemented everywhere, it could be a catastrophe. This will make it difficult for many people who previously depended on driving taxis for income to lose their sources of income.
• Potential disruptions in case there is an interruption in the transmission of GPS signals. Autonomous cars rely heavily on GPS signals to navigate through highways and concern has been raised that they would clash if there is an interruption on the transmission of GPS signals.
• Reluctance to give up on driving. There are many car enthusiasts who belief that car driving is more than reaching your destination and would be reluctant to give up driving for autonomous cars.